2021-05-19

The becoming of Bucha


                 


            When I understood that this cucumber cousin     
           holds the sponge I have seen in bathrooms
            all over I decided to grow Bucha in our pergola.  




Bucha or Luffa cylindrica   was first described by 
Carl von Linné , but received the name  
from Johann Jakob Roemer.



Said and done. Bucha growing in the pergola.   
All plants  gave fruit apart from the  one that were cut 
down  by misstake (I hope) by our  Gardiner...  




When the Bucha is fully grown and ripe   
it is harvest time. 



The seed pod  just inside the green  peel is 
what we want to harvest unharmed. 



The seed pod is then cut open and washed clean
and all the seeds are removed . 


After drying in the sun and  cleaned again  the magic
 sponge material is ready to be used. 


My thought was to create a new shape  
using  pieces of the
 Bucha seed pod as well  
as well as whole  ones. 




Working at the veranda at Casa da Ilha
 I  stocked up on dried Bucha seed pods. 




By sewing the pieces of the Bucha together  with a  
green organic cotton tread I am starting to   learn  what  this
 sponge material is capable of.


I like sewing by hand and used a simple 
type of stitching that 
secures with  knots for durability. 



Sometimes sitting in the garden 
on a blanket stitching. 



A new form is slowly being born. 



A hat type of shape. 




The cut pieces of the Busha I  
will use  as well. 
No waste of any kind  preferably. 




A hat shape (or a sea urchin?) 
that I was born I  
want to   build a stand  
or  you  could call it a hanger  
attached with LED light this   Busha 
hat will become a  luminescent  
hat or we can call it a lamp. 



'


Really in love with 
this organic material 
and the possibilities 
it has.   



Bucha at sun set. 




Bucha in the morning. 





Hat is Chapéu in  Portuguese, 
could be a good name. 





Bucha - Chapéu seen from 
above or from underneath 
if you hang it in your ceiling. 





Time to cut the green thread or 
umbilical cord if  you may. 






The becoming of Bucha. 






The workshop  on the 
veranda where I  
have been cutting ,
 sewing and creating. 




I mean is it not fantastic 
what you 
can create from 
organic materia, 
right?




To create interior products with no negative 
impact on our planet is the idea. 
This is a good suggestion so far. 






Stay in touch! 






Jimmy 




Inga kommentarer: